Monday, September 20, 2010

Do You Know Where Texas Roadhouse Is Based?

I'll give you a hint: It's not Texas. It's Louisville, Ky. Last night a large group of accountants from Texas Roadhouse came down to help out in McCreary. Normally they take a couple days and have a fun mini retreat (usually in Gatlinburg), but this year they decided to come volunteer with CAP instead. They split up and did different things in the area, but I spent the day with six guys working with the housing crew: Kevin, Janean, and Shanna. We worked on an addition to a  participant's house. The floor was already done, so today we framed and had all the exterior and interior walls up (including closets) by the end of the day. I used my first circular saw and did a lot of hammering. I felt really productive, and it felt good to learn "useful skills." I think that has been the theme of my year of volunteering. Before CAP:
- I never would have thought I'd feel comfortable driving a pickup truck.
- I never would have learned to use a chain saw.
- I never would have learned to use any type of power tool.
- I never would have known how to frame a house.
I'm glad that I now have these skills. Before I was in the mindset that I'd have to call a guy to do these type of things, but as cheesy as it sounds, it really is empowering to know that I'm capable in those areas... at least somewhat capable.



My friend Shanna teaches me how to use a circular saw.



Although it was fun today, I can't really see myself doing Housing for 11 months. I still really like Family Advocacy best of all and think it's a perfect fit for my talents and desires. But I do love getting out of the office and experiencing different parts of CAP.

This evening, the Texas Roadhouse group had a big picnic for everyone in the community. It was really cool. They brough bbq from their Knoxville location (as well as line dancers from the Gatlinburg location for entertainment). The guys grilled hot dogs and hamburgers. There was tons and tons of food that I'm pretty sure the accountants all made themselves and brought from home. There were games set up for kids, cornhole boards for the adults, and music playing. Someone even dressed up in the stuffed armadillo costume and took pictures with everybody. (That someone happened to be one of the guys in my crew today). There was a great turnout and it looked to be a great success!

No comments:

Post a Comment