Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Prayer on the Hill

This evening I walked up the monstrous hill beside our house. (Pictures to come!) I was hot and felt gross, but the scenery was beautiful. I stood at the top of the hill and looked around the valley - the blue sky and pink clouds, the moon, the hills covered in Queen Anne's Lace - thinking vaguely of this quote from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn:

"Dear God," she prayed, "let me be something every minute of every hour of my life. Let me be gay; let me be sad. Let me be cold; let me be warm. Let me be hungry...have too much to eat. Let me be ragged or well dressed. Let me be sincere - be deceitful. Let me be truthful; let me be a liar. Let me be honorable and let me sin. Only let me be something every blessed minute. And when I sleep, let me dream all the time so that not one little piece of living is ever lost."
So many times we go through life without realizing the beauty around us until we start to see it slip away. I hope that I can continue to see the beauty around me throughout my 11 months and not just during the first and last. I don't want to wake up in 10 or 11 months and try to squish all my living into my last few weeks in Renfro Valley.

In other news, I began my AmeriCorps paperwork today, and Jenny had her exit interview, so I was alone in the office for an hour or so. Of course that's when everyone decided to call or just drop by! An elderly man (by the name of Virgil, or "Virg") called me because his power had been disconnected and he was "meltin' here." Have you ever surprised yourself by doing exactly what needed to be done, even when you thought you didn't know how? Ultimately, I did have to wait until Jenny was out of the meeting to come to a final decision because there were issues with his SSI amount, but still, I knew what to ask and look for. That made it easier when a woman dropped by to sign up for School Readiness (2 months late, and a week before distribution). I pulled out the Family Advocacy application, took a look at her food stamp letter and went to town. Naturally, I have to give major props to Jenny who taught me all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment